If you constantly feel weak and tired and often have digestive disorders, these may be signs that you need to go through a detox program. Detoxification, or detox as it is more commonly known, has been practiced by many people worldwide for several centuries now, particularly those familiar with Chinese and Ayurvedic medicines. Simply put, a detox diet or detox program is all about cleansing the body of toxins and other impurities and replacing them with healthy nutrients that will prevent diseases and promote good health.
Dr. Peter Bennett, who co-authored a book, “7 Day Detox Miracle,” with Stephen Barrie, MD, and Sara Faye, explains that detox enhances the body’s natural capacity to heal itself. He emphasizes that a good detox program is essential for the body because it provides what is suitable for the critical body part, the cell.
Bennett’s home detox program suggests two days of liquid fasting, where only juices from fruits and vegetables are taken. This is followed by five days of a diet composed of well-selected, fibrous, and nutritious foods. He also said that it is good to detox at least once a year but warned that it is not advisable for breastfeeding mothers, children, and patients with severe degenerative sicknesses such as cancer.
The whole process of a good detox program should encourage fasting to allow the organs to rest, eliminate toxins from the kidneys, skin, and intestines, improve blood circulation and replace toxins with the proper food nutrients.
Here are ten tips on how you can detox successfully at home:
- First, minimize taking in contaminants such as alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, sugars, and saturated fats, which will only add up to the toxin levels in your body.
- Avoid stressful situations. Stress triggers the release of stress hormones into the system, creating more toxins and slowing the detox process. Instead, engage in relaxing activities such as yoga and meditation. Do positive self-talk, instead, to lessen the effect of stress on your life.
- Drink a minimum of 2 quarts of water a day.
- Practice eating foods rich in fiber and organically grown foods. Vegetables like broccoli, artichokes, and cabbage should be part of a good detox program.
- Try using dandelion root, milk thistle, and burdock to cleanse the liver. Drink plenty of green tea as it is rich in antioxidants and a good detox drink.
- Learn the art of deep breathing to release stress and encourage oxygen flow into the body.
- Drink juices rich in Vitamin C or take Vitamin C supplements, which aid the body in producing glutathione, a compound that helps drive toxins out of the liver.
- Try hydrotherapy or a slow, 5-minute hot shower, followed by cold water for 30 seconds. Could you try doing this three times before going to bed?
- Have regular saunas so wastes can be eliminated through sweating.
- Finally, engage in a daily regimen of physical exercise.
After a good detox program, you can continue with a changed lifestyle of a good diet, supplements, and exercise. You will start to notice changes in your body and general well-being as toxins are removed from your system.